By Lawrence Raysor
Part I
Creativity has become a lost art form. Yes people, I did just refer to the act of coming up with something artistic, yet new, as an art form. Unfortunately, we see it in today’s urban society more than anywhere. This is where an old man would normally lean back in a rocking chair, show off his eight remaining teeth, and let out a throaty, “Hmph! Back in my day…” The truth of the matter is, however, I was born in the 80‘s and “my day” is still going on right now, and I’m somewhat ashamed to be apart of it.
Let’s just take a look at some of the “creativity” we have going on out here now. Where should we start? How about the guys with the “Look, Mom, my jeans are tighter than my girlfriend’s” trend that has started up in urban fashion? It’s bad enough that the jeans look tight enough to have been “painted on,” - thanks B.I.G.- they’re also being worn with these rhinestone-studded and extravagant belts. Don’t get me wrong the belts are cool, in fact they were cool for a while, except of course when guys were wearing the rhinestone-studded name belts (check your closet before you laugh). Today, however, these tight jeans rest below the butt. These “look at me look at me” belts, therefore, do nothing but call attention to, that’s right you guessed it, an underwear -clad butt. Notice I said, “underwear-clad,” - usually something tight, unfortunately - and I bet some of you are wondering how I know this. The shirts are second cousins to the “belly shirts” that the hot girls in school would get called into the office for on those “it’s close to summer vacation so let’s test the rules and the boys with our skin” days. Those were the days…I digress. These tight t-shirts that the guys sporting are being worn just high enough to show what looks like two footballs wrapped in a scarf. I beg you, whoever you are, if you’re going to change or add anything to this style, please do NOT do anything to the underwear; just cover it up. Lord knows I don’t want to get to know any of these men any more than I have already. So that includes wearing thongs, g-strings, fishnets, going commando, wearing lace, boy cut shorts (don’t let the name fool you guys) etc. If you would like to do this on your own time I have no problem with it, but the public forum is not the place to express yourself in such a manner; on this I will not budge. Notice the seriousness in my literary voice.
I’m not questioning the creativity involved in men showing off more of their body parts, away from the beach. I can see where someone might view that as creative; I’m just guessing that someone would have on an oversized and faded powder blue t-shirt with the pen pocket on the left side of what appears to be a converted v-neck t-shirt. Trust me, I can understand that. I don’t mind the loud colors that I’ve seen in urban fashion, either: some people are wearing bright red and thick socks; some people are wearing neon green shirts with loud designs on them or witty phrases like, “I heart pu**y” and on the back it says, “ASPCA - Kitten attendant;” some people are wearing high-top purple sneakers with sun- ray- yellow laces; some people are wearing sky-blue trucker hats with really cool names like “Big Dan”; and of course some people are wearing the “Afghan” pashmina’s with a black and yellow checkered pattern. Wait, all of that was on one guy, not some people. Sorry, I guess the combination confused me and my mind registered many people and not one person; my bad people. Anyway, I get it, we’ve taken the “think outside the box” idea to a whole new level. I don’t even mind that the clothes are tighter. I definitely don’t mind the big, thick-frame glasses and the hats with the flipped- up bills. I don’t mind the big bucket hats, gold chains, jackets with the sleeves pushed up, crazy designs in the hair, and the black shades with the thick frames. Some of you might see where this is going, for the rest of you allow me to start the second bus: there’s a reason I don’t mind any of it…I was born in the era where it was actually C-R-E-A-T-E-D! Walking the streets of New York has turned into one big college campus where the theme for every party is “80’s Fashion”. Where’s the creativity in that? Is that really “your” style?
I could easily introduce an alternative to stealing 80’s fashion, but that would be too much like the right thing to do. Plus, we don’t need a million Lawrence Raysor look-a-like’s walking around here, even if it would make the world a beautiful place. There I go again, I’m drifting. I’m just saying, there has to be a better way to wear clothing. If we’re using the clothing to express ourselves, let’s do just that rather than using how someone else expressed him/herself in the past to do so. I believe in you urban America, bring the creativity back please!
Comment please, but please limit your responses to the contents of this blog. Any personal comments should and can be sent to the author's email. Remember this is a blog and opinions on such are very welcome.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Part I...Sounds to me like this is just someone getting old. I agree with your point of view, but I admit I'm getting old. is it not human nature for someone to hold on to the things they grew up with, and look down on the newer generation. Did our parents parents not look at rock and roll the same way? Did our parents not look at hip hop the same way? We all wore baggy jeans...and we all wore them backwards at some point (DON'T FRONT!!)...and our parents looked the same way at us as you are at them. Again I'm not saying you're wrong, I agree, but I think this is all just par for the course of human nature and trends.
ReplyDeleteI think when looking at the spectrum of creativity, we can collectively agree that in all genres it is lacking and/or lost. Music has its copycats, movies has their remakes and television has its form of "reality." Pop culture as we know it all feels like some form of con-artistry. Even in the world of fashion, the latest "trends" are a decade old (ie: leggings and off the shoulder shirts). What happened to new ideas, new concepts, coming up with something original for once? Everything is overplayed and overdone. However, one can't complain too much because we are partly to blame. We watch those reality shows, we pay for those movie tickets, we run to those retail stores and we listen to the music on the radio. Therefore, these industries are just supplying what is clearly in demand. In closing, don't buy that gold headband on sale at forever21, don't watch the season finale of “For the Love of RJ” and don't buy tickets to go see “17 Again”, the new movie that blatantly rips off "Big", a movie over a decade old. Rather, watch a television show with an actual plot, a movie with an original concept, listen to a CD of an artist not played on the local radio station, read a book for a change and lastly come up with your own style rather than mimic what's in those pre-teen magazines or what you see on Mtv (Music Television that doesn’t even play music any more). That's all for now. Over and out.
ReplyDelete